Monday, December 14, 2020

Fudge

 Deanna has kept this Christmas tradition alive for at least the 33+ years I've been married.  Her annual packet of Christmas Fudge arrives and is almost as anticipated as the actual Christmas Day itself.  I had a  good decade or so where I was able to keep it as my dirty little holiday secret... but at some point the children got smarter!  This was a much sought after recipe of my moms.  She even had about 20 extra copies of it stored in the box for quick disbursement.  

Also, I have it on good authority that Sylvia's FUDGE can be improved in the following ways:

  • Canned Milk refers to EVAPORATED MILK, not sweetened condensed milk
  • Use 2 T Vanilla, not 2 t
  • Use MILK CHOCOLATE, SEMI SWEET & High COCOA (60%+) Content Chips - 3 flavors
  • Recipe was created when product sizing was larger.  Use 1 1/2 C of each flavor of chips and approximately 2 1/2 C or a 7.5 oz jar of marshmallow creme works
  • Pecans are just as good as Walnuts - Chef's choice
  • Do not use cold butter.  Cut it up small for easier mixing (so funny that the recipe mentions "margarine".  My mother did NOT do margarine!  Or cool whip... Ever!)
  • Reduce cooking time to about 6 minutes
  • And finally, there is no mention of MINIATURE MARSHMALLOWS, but get them and use them!  Use lots of them they are the best part!  I'm going to say a cup a pound (3-4 C)... mix them in after all the chips have melted and just before you pour into the buttered pan, do NOT overstir

Special thanks to Deanna for sharing her improvements... No one reads my blog, so your secrets are very safe!  ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment