Monday, May 4, 2020

Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Quiejo)

Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo)

1 1/2 C Milk
1 cube Butter (or 1/2 C Olive Oil)
1 t Salt
2 C Cassava (or Tapioca) Flour
3/4 C Parmesan Cheese
3/4 C Sharp or Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 beaten Eggs

I'm sure you can do this without a kitchen aid or similar mixer... but I wouldn't recommend it.  You'll be mixing for days!  Preheat oven to 450 degrees, but turn it down to 350 degrees as soon as you place the bread in the oven.

Bring the milk, butter and salt to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat.  Place the Cassava flour in the mixer's bowl.  Add the hot milk mixture and carefully start the mixer.  Let mix for several minutes.  Beat in the eggs one at a time and continue mixing.  Add the cheeses. Ultimately the dough will have the consistency of a stretchy "play dough".  I used my cookie scoop to keep the amounts the same.  I rolled each piece of dough into a ball and placed them my pizza stone baking sheet.  28 small rolls.  Remember to reduce the heat to 350 degrees right after you place in oven.  Bake 20-25 minutes.  They don't really brown.  The outside is dry and the inside is "squishy".

(These are yummy little gluten free rolls.  I love them at Tucanos...  I will continue to work on this recipe, but they are pretty good as is.  I am definitely calling them a success!  I would like to explore and enhance the flavor with different cheeses.  I used and will continue to use the cheap Parmesan in the can.  It's grated so fine and gets mixed in well.  I loved the texture and color that shredded sharp cheddar added.)


No comments:

Post a Comment